Have you been seeking TMJ pain treatment in Nepal? We at Shangrila Dental Clinic Kathmandu have helped many people with TMJ issues before. We can help you too. But before you meet us, know a little about your condition.
What is TMJ?
TMJ is the temporomandibular joint that is located in front of our ears that connects our jaw to the temple bones of our skull. This Joint helps us to make various movements like opening and closing of the mouth, and side to side movement, like in chewing.
Problems that occur in the TMJ like pain, clicking are collectively known as Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome or Temporomandibular Disorder ( TMD ) but in Nepal, people call it simply TMJ pain.
What causes TMD pain?
TMD issues can be because of the Temporomandibular joint or because of the muscles surrounding it.
Causes for TMD are :
- Oral habits like Clenching, teeth grinding
- Disease like Arthritis
- Trauma to the joint due to punch or accident
- Infection, cancer, or deformity during birth
Signs and Symptoms of TMD :
- Discomfort in and around the joint
- Pain while trying to open mouth wide
- Head and neck pain that radiates to shoulder, teeth, ears
- Tinnitus-Ringing sensation in the ear
- Trouble chewing
- Swelling around the joint
- Clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Your jaw getting locked
- Jaw deviating to one side on opening mouth
How to prevent TMJ pain?
- Don’t chew hard food
- Don’t take big bites of food
- Support your jaw while yawning
Seek treatment if the discomfort is bothering you. Early intervention is always best.
- Your dentist will examine your jaw, muscles, head, and neck
- Might send you for a Blood test to check white cell count to rule out arthritis, gout, lupus
- MRI and CT scan
Treatment for TMJ pain :
- Muscle relaxation massages and exercise
- Soft diet
- Anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen
- Alternate moist hot and cold Compress for 20 minutes every day
- Occlusal Splints
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Maxillofacial surgery is used as a last option
The majority of patients get relief from non-surgical conservative therapy with only a few needing surgical interventions.
To schedule an appointment with our Dentist (https://shangriladental.com/contact-us/) call (977) 9841815537 or (977) 1 4423123