The teeth gap or spaces between teeth is medically known as Diastema. While Madonna flaunts it, many people are not comfortable with it. Small gaps are hardly noticeable but large gaps between teeth are a cosmetic concern. The good news is that there are many ways to close the gap or reduce the size.
Causes for teeth gap
- A mismatch between the size of the jaw bones and the size of the teeth can cause extra space between teeth. If the teeth are too small for the jaw bone, spaces between the teeth will occur.
- An oversized labial frenum.
- Missing teeth
- Undersized teeth
- Thumb sucking
- Trouble swallowing
- Gum disease
Different methods to close teeth gap
- Braces: Braces put pressure on teeth and move them together. However, this method is time-consuming
- iAlign: Invisible clear aligners work like braces
- Dental bonding: tooth-colored composite is used as a filling material. In this procedure, a tooth-colored composite resin is applied to teeth adjacent to the gaps. After the solution has been set, it will look like there was never a gap. This method is perhaps the quickest way to fill in a space between your teeth. It is also cost-effective and proven to be safe. However, it’s necessary to keep up with the maintenance that we recommend after dental bonding to ensure the tooth looks great for years to come.
- Porcelain Veneers: If your oral health is in optimal condition, veneers can be fitted and placed to make the gap disappear. The veneers look real and can last 15 years or longer. While veneers are more expensive than braces and teeth bonding, the procedure is meant to last and can save you money in maintenance costs.
- If you’re experiencing gum disease, you will need to improve your dental hygiene and see your dentist until your condition is consistently getting better.
Schedule an appointment with us.