Looking for the price of Zirconia crown in Kathmandu? The Zirconia Crown price in Kathmandu at Shangrila Dental Clinic ranges from 22,000 Rs per crown. To schedule an appointment, call (977)9841815537 or (977)1-4523123.
What is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are caps or covers that cover a damaged tooth or implant. Crown work as a cap that sits on top of an existing tooth. It helps improve tooth function. The crown also helps the appearance of a tooth that has become stained or disfigured over the years.
What is Zirconia? How is Zirconia different from other crowns?
The use of Porcelain Fused to Metal (PFM) crowns is no more popular. It is because of their character flaws like chipping, cracking, and breakage. The improved material options are now available. These new materials used to make crowns aren’t as susceptible to breakage.
Zirconia crowns are the strongest type of dental crown available on the market at this moment. Zirconia crowns are derived from zirconium, which is a metal closely related to titanium. Metallic zirconium produces Zirconium oxide powder. The zirconium oxide powder is no longer metal. Zirconium oxide is the main constituent of the Zirconium crown. It is fast becoming popular because it combines the strength of metal crowns with the natural appearance of porcelain crowns. This means that you get double the benefits from a single package. A CAD-CAM (Computer-assisted designing – Computer-assisted milling) computerized cutting machine makes Zirconia Crowns.
Advantages of Zirconia Crown
- Strength: Various fluids and foods consumed over the years lead to the corrosion of dental crowns. But Zirconium crowns do not undergo corrosion like most of the other types of dental crowns. This factor contributes majorly to having a long life. Zirconia crowns, therefore, are extremely durable and thus last longer compared to other crowns.
- Aesthetics: Zirconia crowns have attractive translucent color, meaning that it allows light to pass through as a normal tooth would, therefore giving the tooth the natural transparency that real teeth have. With Zirconia, it will be hard for someone to differentiate or distinguish the crown tooth from the other natural teeth. In addition, there is no gray line on the gums visible compared to that of conventional metal-based ceramic crowns.
- Biocompatible: Zirconia crowns are biocompatible, meaning that there’s no risk of the body rejecting Zirconia or having an allergic reaction. That is why Zirconia is also used in many other medical applications such as artificial joints. Also, Zirconium has extremely low thermal conductivity so the normal cold or hot sensations felt with other types of dental crowns are virtually nonexistent with the Zirconia crowns. It is safe to use and preferred by many people.
- Retain more of the existing tooth: It is a more conservative procedure i.e. less preparation is required on the respective teeth which means more of the original tooth is preserved.
Disadvantages of Zirconia Crown
- Some people are concerned about friction or excess wear on the surrounding teeth due to zirconia’s rigid surface. This is usually not an issue. Regular dental checkups can ensure this does not happen.
- The color of Zirconia may not be satisfactory for some. Because compared to Emax, its color is inferior.
- The final disadvantage is the Zirconia crown price in Nepal. They are the strongest dental crown available but also the most expensive. However, since they last longer than other crowns so, over the long term, Zirconium crowns cost less than regular crowns.
To summarize, Full-contour zirconia crowns are the strongest, most fracture-resistant, tooth-colored restorations in dentistry today.
Dr. Hema Jha is a licensed dentist with over a decade of experience. Dr.Jha earned her BDS degree in 2005 from B.P. Koirala Institute of Health and Sciences and her MDS degree in 2012 from Tongji Medical College.